Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First Laughs!

Yesterday when I got home from work, I was holding Alex while Charlotte was on mom's computer, somehow patient enough to commence internet operations on a dial-up connection.

Alex had just woken up about fifteen minutes prior and was all smiles. Charlotte began intermittently thrusting her face back and forth toward Alex while speaking baby-gibberish and a half-garbled voice...

Alex's noise started out as a sort of high pitch grunt that translated into something of an affirmation of her amusement, but as the intensity of Charlotte's bizarre activity increased, the grunt evolved into a laugh, though awkward at first because of its virginity. Although a new vocal ability was being exercised, it quickly matured to resemble a much wiser laugh, possibly one of the sweetest sounds acknowledged by the human ear.

As my video camera is on lend and our camera is dead, this moment escaped digital immortalization. But the memory of it is will remain sharper than almost any other in my lifetime...

2 comments:

Amy Butler said...

Man, first laughs already? Time flies. I'm truly sad that it wasn't caught on film. Oh well... maybe I'll hear it in October.

On a side note, outside of me loving to hear about the new accomplishments of my niece, it is neat thinking "ok, maybe in about two weeks Evie will be doing the same thing."

They're going to be pals, I just know it.

Silverthornes said...

update please